Monday, April 18, 2016

Papertrey Make It Monday: Faux Brush Lettering


Hey there, friends, I've got a special post for you today! I'm hosting my first-ever Make It Monday video & challenge with Papertrey, called Faux Brush Lettering

Some of you all will know I've been interested in calligraphy and lettering since high school. Off and on, over the years, I've played around with lettering, and even addressed friends' wedding invitations on several occasions. (The price was right -- free! Actually, it was usually my gift to the bride and groom, so it worked out well.) 

Most of my lettering has been with ink and nibs, but in the past year, I've become more interested in brush lettering, both with markers and with an actual watercolor brush. It's not easy, though, and takes lots of practice! 

As I was preparing for Papertrey's April release, specifically Betsy's Paper Clippings: Thank You stamp set, I wondered if I could add some ink shading to my stamped sentiment to make it look like watercolor brush lettering. Today's Faux Brush Lettering Make It Monday video & challenge is the result of that experiment. Hope you'll give it a try!

The Paper Clippings: Thank You sentiment that I used in my example is big and wonderful and dramatic, but there are lots and lots of smaller sentiment stamps in the Papertrey store that would work really well, too. Basically anything with a brush letter style font. Here are few suggestions: anything from the Paper Clippings series, Inspired: Lord and Inspired: Savior, the "hello" in Noted,  Thanks, Coach,  XOXO, many of the big words in Dawn's Enclosed series, any of the Wet Paint stamps, Super Succulents (just use a small brush!), Graceful Greetings, and so many more.


All of the challenge details are posted HERE on Nichole's blog.

And here's the video:



In the video, I mention that you can also try this technique with Copic markers or watercolor markers. The following card, which I posted here on my blog last Thursday, was done with Copic markers:



I've been busy with Papertrey's April release and was out of town for the last few days (on a super fun high school orchestra field trip), but now that I'm back, I can't wait to try this same technique with water-based markers (Zig Clean Color brush markers, Distress markers, Tombow Dual Brush Pens, for example).

Also, in one of those "great minds think alike" coincidences, I saw that Sandy Allnock recently posted a faux watercolor hand lettering tutorial. I highly recommend watching her video as well. I especially like that she's blended multiple colors, instead of just shades of the same color. 

Can't wait to see your take on this challenge!

Here's another look at my Faux Brush Lettering sample:




Papertrey Ink Supplies:

Stamps: Paper Clippings: Thank You, Bloomin' Cute

Dies: Paper Clipping: Thank You, Bloomin' Cute

Ink: Lovely Lady, Raspberry Fizz, New Leaf, Blueberry Sky, Enchanted Evening, Harvest Gold

Paper: Green Parakeet, New Leaf, Stamper's Select White card stock


Other Supplies:

clear sequins, foam tape, watercolor paper, watercolor brush




Thanks so much for visiting today! Enjoy your week!


10 comments:

Sue said...

Amy, the card you used for MIM is beautiful and I love the technique you used to add to the already beautiful sentiment. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to find time this week to try it!

Unknown said...

I absolutely adore both of your cards! Thank you for sharing your how to video! I can't wait to try my hand at this fun technique.

Helen Gullett said...

Sooo beautiful!

Leigh Penner said...

I love your cards, your video and your technique, Amy! I played along with the challenge and have my card scheduled to post on my blog on Sunday. I have to say, it was so fun watching the video... and getting to hear your voice! Fabulous job, my friend!

Mary Gunn FUNN said...

Great tutorial - you aren't that good - sheesh! :o)
Love it. Thank you for sharing!

cal8007 said...

Loved the tutorial and I'm going to try it out with my script stamps!

thank you!
Carmen

MA said...

Great tutorial, Amy. Beautiful shading! Who makes the scalloped frame?

Amy Sheffer said...

All supplies are by Papertrey Ink, except the sequins. The frame is called Pretty Frame. I used just the outer portion. Here's a link: https://www.papertreyink.com/pti-dies/papertrey-ink-cover-plate-pretty-frame-die/

Martha said...

Thanks, Amy, for the fun MIM and the lovely inspiration!

Greta said...

Your cards are just gorgeous, Amy! I never would have tried this without your video--thank you!